Nakuru County Natural Resource Forum (NACNAREF)
It is a public-based Forum platform of civil-society organisations,individuals,research institutions ,universities,private sector and public institutions established to facilitate coordinated interventions by members on natural resource governance in the County. The forum appreciates the importance of of natural resource in driving development and wealth creation in the society and submits that the society or community needs to be effectively structured as collective entities to ensure that their efforts in natural resource management are coordinated and synergized to realize development and wealth creation. In Nakuru County, there are many organizations and groups working on the environment and natural resource arena.
However, for the county to maximally benefit from the experiences ,resources and expertise of these organizations , a framework for engagement must be established . Equally, for the civil society to engage meaningfully with the County processes, they must be organized in a collective representative entity so as to consolidate voice and amplify the invisible voices. It is for this reason that the Forum was established following a County rapid assessment by East African Wild Life Society(EAWLS) which revealed an absence of a public-driven platform where governance of natural resources in the county could be discussed.
The forum was established in February 2012. Currently, it is hosted at RECONCILE which also provides Secretariat support. To date , the forum has enlisted the participation of over 30 organizations from the expansive Nakuru County. As the Forum grows, it is envisaged to develop into a public mouthpiece for Nakuru County on issues of natural resources in the devolved government. It is imperative to note that the Forum is facilitative and purposes to provide a platform for policy and decision makers,practitioners,researchers and community members and representatives to meaningfully engage each other towards the development and implementation of sound policies and laws,frameworks for sustainable natural resource management and development.
Goal-To be a model Forum where natural resource issues are addressed for socio-economic development of Nakuru County.
Vision– To have a natural resource base managed in a sustainable way for improved livelihood of the current and future generations.
Mission– To promote active public participation in management of natural resources for socio-economic development of Nakuru County.
Objectives of NACNAREF
- To network and collaborate with stakeholders in promoting sustainable Management of natural resources in Nakuru County
- To enhance the capacity of forum members for effective advocacy,networking and alliance building for sound natural resource management and development
- To actively participate in formulation, implementation and review of laws and regulations affecting Nakuru County natural resource development
- To promote activities and initiatives that enhance production and access to profitable markets while increasing county revenues and improving livelihoods
- To support and strengthen fellow members in addressing areas of interest that positively contribute to sustainable natural resource development
- To promote information sharing and exchange including lesson learning on natural resource development within forum members and the public
- to advocate and promote transparency and accountable governance of natural resource base within Nakuru County.